Friday, February 25, 2011

NORMal?


This week we talked about social norms. Social norms are "rules" used by society. Norms deem what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. As humans mature, each learns when and where it is appropriate to say certain things, to use certain words, to discuss certain topics or wear certain clothes, and when not to. If these rules are not followed, exclusion from the group could occur.

Today, after school I reminded my underclassmen friends that they only have 53 days left of having friends because that's when the seniors are through. I instantly regreted this when they both snapped at me saying "shut up." It wasn't nice of me to say that they'll have no friends when we leave. I broke one of the social norms; think about what you say before you say it. That's something I've always struggled with.

A major social norm that if broken creates many awkward situations is facing front in an elevator. Also, when in an elevator do not talk to anyone unless spoken to first. How to avoid awkward elevator rides!





No comments:

Post a Comment